[recipe] East Meets Mid-West Dry Rub


This dry rub is insanely awesome! I’ve always been real into making my own rubs, and with my husband being the BBQ king, he’s totally into it too. I made this one up based on the tale of our move from the East Coast to the Mid-West. It’s my twist on a Carolina style dry rub meets Kansas City style dry rub combo.

This rub is good on everything. I use it for ribs, pork shoulders [pictured below], chicken and even swai fish and other sweet, hearty white fish types.

The really cool thing about getting into making your own rubs, is the ability to make exactly what you like. I’m not a big fan of chili powder. Don’t shoot me, but I’ve never really been into chili. I don’t like to use it. You can go crazy and make a Hispanic style rub, oriental style…the options are endless.


Ingredients
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup paprika
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cayenne


Directions
You’re literally going to throw all the ingredients into any container with a lid, or a large plastic bag and shake. That’s it. Store in any air tight container, or even in the plastic bag. Rub liberally onto beef, pork and chicken, or rub lighter onto any seafood and grilling vegetables. Grill, bake, smoke…


Gifts!!
Homemade rubs make awesome gifts. Pick up a few mason jars from your local market and add all the spices, but DON’T shake. They look super cool all separated. Make a little label with the seasoning name and directions for use. You can even include a little spoon, or make them in specialty shaker containers. Very cool to give and receive.

Popular Posts