Copper Spine Studio


Etsy is an amazing place to find stunning handcrafted jewelry. I recently had the opportunity to meet and interview Kate, of Copper Spine Studio.

Copper Spine Studio is the perfect place to discover naturally designed elegant jewelry made with beautiful materials. Every piece has a remarkable, wearable ease about it. You'll find a fantastic assortment of necklaces, earrings, rings, and more, created with various types of silver, metals and stones.

 

How did you get started in your craft?
I was first exposed to metalsmithing and jewelry design while I was in high school, but I didn’t fall in love with it until college. I majored in biology and began to feel really overwhelmed with the workload that accompanied the major.


I realized that I really missed having a creative outlet so I decided to sign up for the introductory metal fabrication class. After that first class I was hooked. I had never found a medium that drew me in like metal. What was meant to be a single class to relieve stress turned into a metalsmithing minor and a lifelong passion


What do you sell in your shop? What makes your items special?
I sell handcrafted sterling silver and copper jewelry. I think my work is special because it is completely handcrafted.

I begin with sterling wire and sheet metal which I cut out and shape by hand and then carefully build each piece. I also try to make sure that my pieces are truly unique. I try to design art jewelry that is bold enough to make a statement yet elegant enough to be easily worn every day.


Where do you draw your inspiration from?
I grew up in a small town in Pennsylvania and have always been in awe of nature and consequently biology however, much of my adult life has been spent in an urban setting. Most of the inspiration for my work comes from seeing bursts of nature thriving within the city setting.


I love that even in the highly manicured city garden the plant forms are still completely organic, unruly and unpredictable. This juxtaposition is mirrored in my work which features plant forms such as flowers and tendrils bursting from clean geometric frames.


What has been your favorite part of having an Etsy shop?
Being able to share my work with others has been extremely fun and exciting. I spend a lot of time editing my designs and sketching out every possible variation before I decide to make a piece.


By the time I finally post an item for sale I have really poured myself into the piece and so it is so rewarding when someone loves my work enough to spend their hard earned money on it.


Connections...

Popular Posts