{recipe} Beignets {or something like it}


A few weeks ago I put in another huge order to Cajun Grocer and was the happiest little lady in the world, UNTIL, I realized I forgot to order beignet mix!!! What sort of a person forgets beignets when they order Cajun?? My mistake ate at me for days until I realized I could just make them myself. I love Café du Monde, no one’s mix is better - but in a crimp while you wait for the real thing to arrive, this recipe lightens all the cravings.

You’ll find that most every recipe on the net uses either baking powder or active dry yeast. Yeah…I also didn’t have either of those on hand. I have no excuses. I totally need to re-stock some baking basics. This recipe has common in home ingredients and is easy enough for beginner cooks, and kids can help. Easy. Easy.

Ingredients
1 cup water
1/2 cup butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup flour
Vegetable oil for frying
Powdered sugar for making pretties


Directions
In a medium size glass bowl, add butter and water, and melt in the microwave until just melted together. Add the salt and flour, mix, mix, mix - but don’t work the dough too hard. Once a blended sticky batter is made, let the dough rest for 15 minutes.

While the dough is resting, either preheat a fryer to 350 degrees, or heat 4-6 cups of vegetable oil to 350 degrees.


Lightly beat the eggs and whisk into the mixture until everything is smooth and well blended.

Drop the dough by spoon fulls into the hot oil and fry until they are light golden brown on both sides. You can give them a little turn with a fork to flip them over and help them brown evenly on each side.


Remove from oil, place on a paper towel to drain and let cool for 5 to 10 minutes. Douse with powdered sugar. Or lightly sprinkle if you must - I load them up. Eat Them!! They are sooooooo good…


They are also SUPER amazing dipped in honey or chocolate syrup...
 
 
 

Popular Posts