{recipe} Homemade Cheese Crackers ~ Fun for kids!


Baking my own homemade cheese crackers is one of the easiest and fun things I do when I get a munchie attack. It happens the same way every time. I'm standing in front of the fridge, just staring away trying to decide what I want to make. I lock eyes on the bag of shredded cheese and it's on! This is a kids fave and they taste way better than the cheese nips/goldfish you buy in the store.


I'm sharing my original recipe, which calls for butter and salting the nips before baking -BUT- when I'm making for kids I use Brummel and Brown yogurt butter and no salt. You can find Brummel and Brown in any grocery store, including Wal-Mart. I prefer it because it's cholesterol free, has half the fat and calories of butter and tastes phenomenal. It's not a diet butter, it's just made with yogurt, so no funny taste.

Ingredients
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
6 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup flour
5 tablespoons cold water
Salt {optional}


Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix together all the ingredients, except the salt. I go to town with my hands. It's the quickest and easiest way to incorporate everything. It will form into a cheese dough ball. Roll the dough out on the counter and cut into desired shapes. I went plain old square, but you can use cookie cutters and make stars, fish, snowmen ~ this is the part kids really love. Letting them cut the cheese crackers and help put them on the baking sheet is a huge thrill for them. Kids - so easy to please. Place all of your unbaked crackers onto a greased baking sheet. If you would like salt, sprinkle the crackers lightly with salt, then bake for approximately 10-15 minutes, or until they start to turn golden brown. That's it! Super simple and super nummy.




Popular Posts