{recipe} Classic Apple Pie


I've been on a strange mission the past month: I've been trying to bake any and every pie that sounds like something I might like. I actually pulled a Google search and have a list of about a dozen pies, ranging from sweet to savory and normal to bizarre, all on my bake list. Maybe it's my way of coping with stress or something, but the baking has made me feel really happy. The eating doesn't hurt either. This is my new favorite recipe for a super simple apple pie. This pie is so good it actually made me love apple again. I hadn't eaten it in years and only baked it for Jaime, but when I gave it a try I was astonished. My dad and I have a theory that the reason they've been tasting so bland from the store, is all the preservatives. There is definitely something going on. If you bake this pie, you'll never want to go back to pre-made apple again.

Ingredients
Double Crust
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup refrigerated vegetable shortening
1 to 8 tablespoons ice cold water

Filling
1/2 cup butter
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
8 Granny Smith apples


Directions
In a large mixing bowl, mix 2 cups flour and 1 teaspoon salt. Then add the vegetable shortening. I mix well with a fork, then when the mixture is crumbly, I add my water, mix with a fork a bit more, then finish it up with my hands. Your dough has the perfect amount of water when it feels extra pliable, but not sticky. Wrap in saran wrap and throw in your fridge for later.


Now it's time to go to town on those apples. You are going to peel, core and thinly slice. Set them aside. In a sauce pan over medium low heat, mix 1/2 cup butter, 3 tablespoons flour, 1/4 cup water, 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup brown sugar. While you let your mixture melt and come to a gently simmer, we're going to work on the pie crust.


Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Pull the dough ball out of the fridge and split into 2 sections. Roll the first out about 2 inches larger than your pie pan and place into the pan. Poke it with a fork around 50 times on the bottom and sides. Fill with your apple slices. Roll out the second section of dough to around the size of your pie pan. I like to cut a cute shape in the middle of the top layer with a cookie cutter. I didn't have a cookie cutter this time around, so I just ghetto cut a star with a knife. It was cute enough. If you don't want a fun shape, just cut a small circle in the middle.


Take your thickened simmered sugar mixture and pour evenly over all the apple slices. Place the top crust portion on the pie. Trim all edges to fit the pie pan and crimp the trimmed up edges in any design you like. Bake in your preheated oven for 35-45 minutes, or until your top crust is nice and golden brown. Let cool for 2-3 hours before serving.

Click Here for Free Printable Double Pie Crust Recipe Card
Click Here for Free Printable Filling Recipe Card



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And the winner is...


I'll be contacting you soon!

Popular Posts