My New Juicer

I had one of the original Juiceman juicers and loved using it all the time.  When it finally stopped working I was so upset.  I never ended up replacing it because the new models had all gotten so expensive.  Well, I’m sad to say that hasn’t changed at all.  They are even more expensive, but I finally broke down and bought one. 


There were so many to choose from all starting around $40 and on up to $100.  Well, I was thinking that I want one that will last so I can make all fresh juices for my kids and went with the Jack Lelanne Juicer.  Of course it was the $100 one, but it has a limited lifetime warranty that covers a lot of what usually goes wrong with juicers.  I had also seen the infomercials so I was familiar with the product.  Brand recognition will get me every time.  It’s like some strange shopping comfort zone where I’ll pick the brand I recognize when there are too many choices, even if it’s not the best.


I am madly in love with the juicer because it meets all of my needs.  A lot of things have changed since the one I had 8 years ago.  It comes with a great book that has a lot of easy to make recipes, helpful hints for easy juicing, what type of juices you can store and what types have to be consumed fresh, how to store them and the best part, alcoholic beverages!  How cool is that!?  I don’t even know that I’ll make any, but it’s so great that they market to a wider demographic than just health nuts.  I thought a fresh juiced mimosa sounded soooooooooo good.


Another thing they now include is a book of recipes to use the leftover pulp.  I always felt so bad when I had to throw away a ton of poor mangled veggie and fruit scraps.  It’s full of pictures and fantastic recipes for all sorts of muffins and cakes and even ways to put pulp back into your juices to make smoothies and frozen fruit pops. 


For my first tester recipe I made a vegetable juice with carrots, celery, spinach and tomato.  I like to use the toughest ingredients first and most vegetables are way harder to juice than fruits.  It was quick, easy and super quiet.  The juice was great and free of pulp.


Throughout the day I made a ton of vegetable and fruit juices.  My husband even came home from work and drank a giant glass of orange juice and then a glass of apple, grapefruit, peach and strawberry juice.  Just this morning I made an entire pitcher of fresh orange juice.


The negatives of this juicer would be that the spout doesn’t tip down towards the glass.  You actually have to tip it a little to get the last bits of juice to stop flowing out.  It is also big so you would need some extra storage space.  Lastly it does take some time to clean all of the parts.  A cheaper juicer doesn’t have a separate pulp collector so it’s less parts to disassemble and clean.  On the other hand, if you need to make lots of juice for a family, this is the model for you.  A smaller juicer would junk up with pulp and have to be cleaned in the middle of making one pitcher of juice.  In the end, I definitely recommend a smaller, cheaper model for personal use and this or any other large, more expensive model for bulk use.

My Two Favorite New Self-Invented Recipes:        
Spring Fling
*2 small apples
*1/2 grapefruit
*1 large peach
*3 large strawberries
Makes 8-10 ounces of juice

Carotene Kick
*4 large carrots
*1 large stalk celery
*1 large tomato
Makes 8-10 ounces of juice

*******************

Master Cleanse Update

I am now on day 3 of the prep diet for the actual 10 day Master Cleanse.  I rolled through juicing day 2 without flinching.  I was actually really surprised.  I even managed to cook dinner for my husband and although it smelled really good, I didn’t have the slightest temptation to partake.  I can definitely say that the reason I’m not having a problem is because I have tackled my hang up on the ‘need’ to eat solid food and am getting all the nutrition I need in my liquid diet.  I would never do anything unhealthy.  The rest of today is nothing but fresh orange juice and then tomorrow is the big day!  The 10 day Master Cleanse starts.

Something interesting I literally found out after Day 1 of my prep diet; people use The Master Cleanse for healthy weight loss and to shed years off their face.  I did not know that.  Apparently they make a kit that you can buy online that has all of the cayenne pepper, salt, laxative tea, syrup and the actual cleanse book and Beyonce is one of their spokespersons.  She lost 20 pounds in 10 days for her role in Dreamgirls where she had to return as her 10 year younger, slimmer self.  Out of curiosity I weighed myself.  I didn’t even realize I have already lost 5 pounds just 2.5 days into the prep diet; a most welcomed side effect of cleansing the body of toxins.  I realize it’s all solid food and water weight for now, but with 13 days to go I’m excited to see what other great side effects I will experience.        

Popular Posts