Movies!

I have completely fallen behind on giving some movie reviews. Jaime and I have been watching some of the most amazing new and old films that I’ve been dying to share. The following movies are only a tiny bloop of what we’ve watched the past two weeks. They are my top ‘must see’ films and should get you through at least the next week.


I’ll start with ‘Limitless.’ It stars Bradley Cooper, Robert De Niro and Abbie Cornish. It is all about a self-sabotaging loser writer who ends up with a drug that allows him to use 100% of his brain. It was fresh and different and thrilling at times. I loved that it wasn’t a bunch of bang, bang, blow it up or nudity. It was perfectly put together and had Jaime and I hanging on the edge of our seats from the first 10 minutes to the absolute last minute. We were talking about the ending all night and the next day. A movie that makes you think and gets better the more you pull it apart, is truly a well put together film.



We also watched ‘Hall Pass.’ This one stars Owen Wilson, Jason Sudeikis, Jenna Fischer and Christina Applegate. The basic rundown is that the women have poopoo husbands that are always talking about younger, hotter women and how they can get them. The girls grant them a complete week off marriage to do whatever they want because they are sick of hearing it. The wives are hot; the men in this movie are not. I found myself laughing at all the gross and crazy things the guys get in to. I thought the way they spun the hard time for the men and easy time for the women was very realistic and enjoyed the new prospective. It was funny, gross at times and the end had me in stitches.


I finally broke down and watched Frida. I had no idea it was going to be so good. It stars Salma Hayek and Alfred Molina. It’s the biography of the crippled artist Frida Kahlo. It was all about her accident, communism, her wild life, love, her open bisexuality and her extraordinary art. This one really struck me. It was romantic, wild, sad and endlessly beautiful. I would say this is the new best movie I have watched in a long time. It was completely moving from beginning to end.


Another Netflix find, ‘Please Give.’ This one probably never got any attention. It’s one of those movies I’ll try based on the cover that I really end up enjoying. It stars Catherine Keener, Amanda Peet, Oliver Platt and Rebecca Hall. It has a few intertwining stories of a pair of sisters taking care of their grandmother, there individual lives and then the lives of the couple down the hall waiting for the grandmother to die so they can have her apartment and expand their own. The characters are realistically bored and neurotic and the deeper into the movie you go, the more you get to know who the people really are. I really enjoyed the film and find myself thinking of it still whenever I see vintage items on Etsy.


I think instead of the original movie I was going to post, I’ll leave you with an old favorite that I have seen about a billion times, ‘The Burbs.’ This has got to be one of the funniest movies of all time. Now that I’m talking about it, I’m thinking of watching it. Yes, I own the DVD and am surprise it even works anymore as many times as I have seen it. It stars the zaniest mix cast with Tom Hanks, Bruce Dern and Rick Ducommun to name a few. It’s all about a bored suburban neighborhood and there nosy need to know it all fixations. The three couples have a revolving obsession around the new neighbors that have mysteriously moved in on the block, the Klopek’s. If you are looking for something that is still new and refreshing to this day, this is your movie pick.

As always, if you have any movies you think I would enjoy, feel free to Email or leave a comment. I am constantly on the lookout for something different.

Popular Posts