A Fantastic Friday

My dad travels around the US for weeks at a time.  This Friday was great because he decided to pop into town and swing by for a visit.  I could have sworn it was about two months since I had seen him last, but long days will make it seem like forever. 

When he came by he brought lunch from my favorite quant little restaurant, Sweet Madeline’s.  If I were to classify it, I would say it was like a little sandwich bistro.  They have amazing salads, sandwiches, fresh coffee and great desserts. 


Unless there is something particularly irresistible on the special menu like a crab quiche, I get one of my two usual’s.  I either get the vegetarian sandwich piled high with grilled marinated red bell pepper, sprouts, avocado, sunflower seeds, and more on a fresh croissant, or I get the seafood melt.  To keep in theme with my complete junk out week, I went for the melt.  Toasted English muffin loaded with lump crabmeat and shrimp and held together with cheeeeeeeeeeeese! 


My dad had the Cobb sandwich.  I’ve never tried it, but it looks really good.  It’s all crusty and grilled.  I think it has blue cheese, chicken, avocado, bacon, lettuce and eggs.  I’m going to have to break down and get one, but it’s going to have to be on a three day Madeline’s streak.  You know how you hear someone say a restaurant and you think of a particular meal.  Like when I hear, ‘Let’s pick up Hong Kong,’ all I here is ‘Let’s pick up shrimp egg foo young.’  I’ll have to go to Madeline’s and get the seafood melt one day, the vegetarian croissant the next and then might finally be un-craved and have room for the Cobb.    


For dessert, a real classic baked Oreo cheesecake.  It must have weighed at least a pound.  I smelled it, took pictures of it and then sent it home with dad.  Don’t get me wrong, I wanted to eat it, but I also wanted to walk with my kids and on an 81 degree day, a pound of cheesecake bubbling in my stomach sounded like a bad idea. 

Now I’m just waiting for the kids to wake up so we can capture some good photos.  There are a ton of flowers blooming here and I actually took some photos earlier in the week, but my best ones had bad lighting.  I’m determined to get out for a re-try.  Even more exciting news!  Do you remember when I added to my spring list some photos during a full moon night?  Turns out the full moon I was planning to try out is going to be the biggest moon in 18 years.  How cool is that.  I’m thinking that sounds a little like fate.  I’m hoping for some great shots to show off next week.   

Popular Posts