Mozzarella Caprese My Style


I am a big fan of garlic, real fresh unprocessed cheese and summer sun ripened tomatoes right off the vine. I actually like to add just enough raw garlic to my recipes that it creates a little heat. Just in time to take advantage of all the fresh summer produce, I’m sharing my unique recipe twist on a traditional mozzarella caprese. My new edition is a cross breed between a shrimp dish with prosciutto my husband and I ate when we were in Costa Rica, a traditional mozzarella caprese and my favorite bruschetta recipe.

Ingredients

1 large ball fresh mozzarella
6 thin slices prosciutto
12 fresh basil leaves
4 large tomatoes
1 shallot
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste



Directions
Slice the mozzarella ball into a few 2 inch thick slices. With a rolling pin, roll the slices into flat pieces about a 1/2 inch thick. Lay a few pieces of prosciutto either on the outside or the inside of the rolled out mozzarella and lay a few leaves of basil on the inside. I rolled my prosciutto on the outside, but piling all the ingredients on the inside is easier and just as beautiful. Roll up the mozzarella and slice into 1/2 inch pieces. This should make about 16 slices of rolled mozzarella, basil and prosciutto.


Slice each tomato into 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices. You should end up with about 16 tomato slices. Add a small dash of salt and pepper to each tomato slice. Dice the shallot and the garlic together and sprinkle a little bit onto each salt and peppered tomato slice. I like to put all the tasty extra ingredients between the tomato and the cheese roll so that the vinegar and oil do not wash it all off.

Top each salt, pepper, shallot and garlic covered tomato slice with one slice of the cheese, prosciutto and basil roll. Lightly drizzle a little bit of the balsamic vinegar onto each tomato, herb and cheese pile and then lightly drizzle a little bit of the extra virgin olive oil.

There you have it! You can serve this as a wonderful appetizer; it can be a vibrant side dish, serve it as a salad or pour a glass of wine and have yourself a tasty little snack. They keep very well in room temperature or slightly warm settings for long periods of time. The taste of real mozzarella is best when the cheese is room temperature. This is an excellent dish to bring to parties because of its durability.

If serving 3-4 caprese per person, this dish will serve 4-5 people.

Popular Posts