DIY Gallery Wall [tutorial]


Over the weekend I had the best time putting together a really large gallery wall. Our main bathroom is pretty large and we never use it for showers, so it was the perfect place to play around and add a little pizazz.

My entire cost for the project: $22 


And this is how I did it…



I bought 20 old frames from the thrift store for a whopping total of $8. Then I picked up black satin multipurpose spray paint and a quart of satin interior paint in Palomino Gold [color swatch to follow], marking my total to $22.


1. Take all the glass and accompaniments out of the frames. Number your frames with a corresponding number for everything that comes out of it. This is really helpful in the end. You can put everything together in minutes.


2. I wanted the majority of my frames to be black. I kept 2 white and 3 in a variety of bronzed tones. The rest I threw on 2 light coats of primer, then followed with 2 light coats of black.


3. In between drying coats of paint, I cleaned up all of the glass from the frames. They were super old and pretty dirty, plus they had price tags on all of the glass. TIP: rubbing alcohol, just a little sprits and wipe with a paper towel, will remove every bit of price tag glue.


4. I measured all of my frames and printed out a variety of photos to fit.


5. When everything was dry, I put the photos into the correct frames.


6. I taped a perfect 3 foot wide area from the floor base board to the ceiling for my paint area. I use nothing but multi-purpose frog tape and a leveler. Frog tape is amazing. You can quickly and easily get perfect lines without any bleeding. Then I painted 2 layers of Palomino Gold.


7. When my wall was dry, I started hanging all of my photos. To hang, I use one little tack nail, then I attach Scotch multi-purpose fasteners on the bottom.


Voila! Simple as that. If you have a Saturday morning to kill, this is the perfect quick and easy project to fill a bare wall on a dime. You can also go floor to ceiling with this design. I’m not able to just yet because my twin toddlers are décor terrors. I’ll fill it out when they grow out of that stage.

Popular Posts