The Active Sleeper

I only knew about sleepwalkers and sleep apnea. It wasn't until I met my husband, that I learned about the rare joy of the adult active sleeper.

An active sleeper is someone who has Parasomnia. Basically, they wake up at night stuck between a dream and wake state. Even though they are looking at you and talking to you, they are unaware of what is going on. They have the craziest glazed over look and talk mad gibberish. If you ask too many questions about what they are doing, they get pretty irritated because they don't understand what's going on.

I didn't know Jaime had Parasomnia until he tried to rip my nipple off in the middle of the night about 7 years ago. With Jaime, it's triggered by stress and changes in his sleep schedule. It got really bad when he changed jobs and I was pregnant. He went into active sleep overdrive. The most memorable night is when he woke and tried to get ready for work. I went into the kitchen while he was attempting to brew crazy middle of the night coffee and tried to coax him to bed. He got all huffy, so I left him to it. I finally stepped in forcefully when he was about to poke out his eye putting in contacts. I'll never forget watching his finger with a contact on the tip swirling in random circles towards his head.

I'm used to it now. When he rolls over and starts getting nuts, I yell at him, sometimes I'll even punch him. The only thing that stops an active sleeper is acting crazier than them. Now we're just waiting to see if the kids caught it. Yup, it can be passed on. We should know really soon because it is the worse before age 5, then naturally goes away unless triggered. So, we shall see.

Popular Posts