No Shortage of Lotions


I have two recipes that I had been trying to create and perfect over the past few weeks. The first recipe is for a completely natural whipped shea butter lotion. Today I’m going to share that recipe.

The other recipe I’ve been working on is a natural lotion based make-up remover that moisturizes and protects. The makeup remover is for me on the rare occasions when I actually wear make-up. A few variations are also perfect for daily cleansing, but I prefer to use my purifying facial bars because they keep my skin clear and radiant. The recipe variations turned out fantastic so I’ll be sure to share those later in the week.

Today:

Head-To-Toe Whipped Butter

INGREDIENTS
5 ounces shea butter
3 ounces sweet almond oil or jojoba oil
1 teaspoon corn starch


SUPPLIES
Hand blender (stick blender)
Ice
Large bowl
Smaller microwavable safe bowl
Your freezer
A jar or even Tupperware for storing the final product


Weigh out your butter and oil and put into a microwavable safe bowl. Heat them on high and keep an eye on them. It should only take 1-3 minutes max before it turns into mostly a clear liquid. When most all of the ingredients are completely melted, take the bowl out of the microwave and stir slowly until the rest of the ingredients are melted down.

Add your corn starch and mix really well until completely blended. Put the bowl into the freezer for about 5 minutes to start the cooling process. While you’re waiting, grab a larger bowl and fill it with a lot of ice and some water. After 5 minutes pull your slightly cooled butter and oil mixture out of the freezer and put the bowl into the ice bath to continue to cool the mixture. Using your hand mixer, keep whipping. This will take several minutes. You can literally watch your blend starting to solidify and then it will whip into an amazing butter that looks a lot like whipped cream. Toss the mixture into a jar and you’re ready to use.

I found that the recipe was moisturizing, not heavy at all, not oily. Even though I originally created the recipe for my kids, I’ll be using this one also. It spreads really far so you can use at least half as much as you would with a normal over the counter liquid lotion recipe. It is also way better for your skin because there are no preservatives, no waters that have no moisturizing properties whatsoever, it has natural anti inflammatory properties, it will naturally help to fade scars, treat eczema, burns, rashes, acne, severely dry skin, skin discoloration, stretch marks, wrinkles, lessens the irritation of psoriasis, has a natural SPF of about 6, is loaded with vitamins A, E and F and much more!


I already make a solid lotion recipe that has the same base ingredients and then I sauce it up with white and green tea extracts, vitamin E, pomegranate extract, carnauba wax to harden the bar, jojoba oil, shea butter, grape seed oil and chamomile extract. I loved using it on the kids but Jaime thought it was too weird melting the bar in his hands and then applying it to the kids. I thought it was easy and I liked that it was more of a water proof and sweat proof recipe, but whatever…men! Now we have a no fuss, no frills whipped body butter that is more ‘the norm’ when it comes to application.


For online organic butter and oil shopping:
http://www.organic-creations.com/servlet/StoreFront

Popular Posts